Hanoi market welcomes Kitchen Gods festival
Published: 04/02/2013 03:42
Hang Ma street in Hanoi is famous for its votive object marketplace serving a range of spiritual ceremonies, including the Kitchen Gods Festival observed on the 23rd day of the 12th lunar month.
The Kitchen Gods are considered the guardians of every household’s kitchen. The one female and two male gods are said to maintain a kitchen’s fire throughout the year.
It is believed that on the 23rd day of the 12th lunar month every year the Kitchen Gods ride carps to Heaven and present a report on each household’s activities to the Jade Emperor.
To observe the ceremony, people buy and offer the Kitchen Gods objects such as clothes, hats, and boots, all made of paper, as well as a fresh carp.
After offering incense to the Gods, they burn the votive paper objects and release the carp into nearby rivers, hoping that the Gods will ride to Heaven and speak well of them before the Jade Emperor.
The ceremony is observed several days before the Lunar New Year (Tet) festival which falls on February 10 this year.
Walking along Hang Ma Street these days, visitors feel lost in a sea of decorations for the Tet holiday.
The votive decorations are even hung on street signposts
The street is flooded with colourful decorations
Shop owners are busy displaying goods .....
… Customers also hurry to choose their favourites.
Votive clothes for the Kitchen Gods are the most popular with customers
A votive clothes set costs from tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of Vietnam Dong, depending on size
They are displayed on the pavement ….
: … or are hung on tree branches
: .. or are carried along the streets by vendors
Customers can buy paper-made carps
: … or paper-made snakes of various patterns
These sets of lucky pieces cost between VND10,000 and VND200,000 each
Street police are mobilized to maintain security and order
Provide by Vietnam Travel
Hanoi market welcomes Kitchen Gods festival - People & Culture - Vietnam in photos | Vietnam travel | Vietnam in photo | vietnam travel company
You can see more
- Tet festival holds in the RoK
- Top Model contestants in imperial maids
- Hanoi’s traditional toys for Full Moon Festival
- ‘Vietnamese children at War’ photography exhibition opens in Hanoi
- Heavy floods of Yen Thanh district - Nghe An
- Explore H'Mong People's daily life on the terraced rice fields of Khau Pha
- Young man declares his love by 600 roses
- Ceremony marks Kiep Bac-Con Son Autumn Festival
enews & updates
Sign up to receive breaking news as well as receive other site updates!
- 6 percent GDP growth rate may be unattainable
- Fuel price, excursion fee hikes counteract tourism promotion programs
- Overseas Vietnamese wins TV's Master Chef
- Striker Cong Vinh plays for a J-League club
- Vietnamese prawn and noodle salad with lime, lemon grass and ginger dressing
- Tour operators launch lucrative promotions
- Vietnam's US trade surplus hits new heights
- The vestige - Gia Long waterfall
- Great landscape in Moc Chau
- An excursion on still water in Van Long
http://www.vietnamtourism.org.vn " Vietnam Tourism: Vietnam Travel Guide, Culture, Travel, Entertainment, Guide, News, and...
http://www.minmaxtravel.com/ " Customize & Book Vietnam tours, Cambodia tours and Laos tours with Travel Experts. Read...
http://travel.org.vn " Vietnam culture
http://www.visithalongvietnam.com/ " Halong Bay Vietnam, visit halong vietnam, all cruise in Halong bay,
http://www.nccorp.vn " Vietnam travel, vietnam travel news, vietnam in photos
http://www.vietnamtourism.org.vn " The official online information on culture, travel, entertainment, and including facts, maps,...